Friday, May 8, 2015

Fitness Friday

Happy Friday!

Here's my weekly training in review:

Saturday - since I was in St. Louis and knew Sunday would be tight on time, I ran Saturday morning. St. Louis is super hilly. SUPER hilly. That's ok if you're used to it, but I had an 11 mile run on tap and really didn't want to kill myself doing it. Lucky for me, the brother I stayed with lives just around the corner from the Katy Trail which follows the Missouri River. It is pretty flat, and is mostly a hard-packed gravel trail. It was a beautiful morning, so even though I was out there at 6 am, I still saw quite a few other runners and bikers. Most of the trail is wooded, but offers some nice views of the river and some creeks along the way. Average pace: 9:43 min/mi.

Monday -  I was still tired from my trip on Monday morning, and it seems that I've come down with a sore throat from allergies and general traveling ickiness. So yoga was ditched for an extra hour of sleep.

Tuesday - Great fartlek run. I was supposed to do 1 mile warm up, 5 x 800m at 7:50-8:00 pace with 3 minutes rest, 1 mile cool down. Since I wanted to do this in the AM and didn't feel like driving to the track, I just ran around town and did 1/2 mile fartleks. That's just about the same. It felt great! Paces were: 9:37 (warm up), then 8:00, 7:57, 7:59, 7:53 & 7:58 for the fartleks, and around 9:40-9:55 for the rest periods, then 9:43 for cool down. Math-disabled me figured this would be 4 miles, mayyyybe 5, total. 5.8! Boom!

Wednesday - I finally got up to do yoga. Hooray! Except that I planned on doing the "quick" program thinking it would just be cut clips of some of the poses from the full video. Nope. It was just a scroll through of the names of some poses to do. So I kept pausing it to do a pose, play to get to the next one, pause, play, repeat. In total I think I did about 25-30 minutes, which is good for me. I think I did plank, downward dog, side plank, upright lunge, pigeon pose, a quad stretch, hamstring stretches, IT band stretch, and then ended with Savasana. My favorite.

Thursday - Easy 4 miles. I was really looking forward to hitting the road this morning. It was warm out, nearly 60 degrees! Ok, 55, but that's a lot closer than 25 degrees! However, the skies opened up right as my watch beeped at 3 miles, so my last mile was in a downpour. Literally. I was soaked by the time I got home. So that mile was a little faster. Average pace: 9:28 min/mi.

Friday - Easy 4 miles. As soon as I stepped out the door this morning, I started getting pelted in the face by sleet. After yesterday's run in the rain, I just wasn't having it. So, I went back inside and jumped on my treadmill. Super boring, but I got it done. 4 miles in 43:07.

Here's hoping for better weather this weekend - especially since I have 12 miles on tap for Sunday morning!

How's your training going? 


1 comment:

  1. I've started to integrate yoga into my weeks as well. I'm really liking it so far! Crossing my fingers for good weather for you this weekend!! :)

    ReplyDelete