Friday, May 15, 2015

Fitness Friday

Another Friday is upon us, which means it's time for my Fitness Friday wrap up!

Sunday - 12 miles easy pace. I'm not sure if it was because of Mother's Day, or maybe I just wasn't feeling it, but this run was work. I didn't eat the greatest on Saturday, so my stomach felt kind of icky the entire run. It was also super windy on my way back. A few times I literally felt like I was at a stand-still because the wind was blowing so hard. But I got it done. 9:53 average pace.

Monday - Even though I really, really, really did not want to, I woke up early and got in some yoga. I did the Sun Salutations portion of my DVD, plus the lunges, then skipped to the quick program for just pigeon pose, bridge, and hamstring & quad stretches. 35 minutes total.

Tuesday - Since it was horribly windy and threatening to snow, I decided to make this my easy day instead of the prescribed workout. 3 easy miles on the treadmill.

Wednesday - Hill to Tempo workout: 1 mile warm up, 4 x 90 seconds uphill at 7:35 pace, jog down rest. 3 min rest, then 3 miles @ 8:40 pace, 1 mile cool down. I was super excited about this workout, and nervous. I kind of like hill repeats, even though they're horrible and not fun. But they make you so much stronger! This workout is specifically designed to give you jello legs, and then make you run fast on them, imitating the fatigue you'll feel in the later miles of the marathon. My repeats were: 7:38, 7:41, 7:39, 7:33, and my tempo miles were: 8:39, 8:40, 8:43. I'm pretty proud of myself! Not going to lie, keeping up that pace after the hill repeats was work, but it didn't kill me. This run ended up being way longer than I thought too, at 6.58 miles. But it's Book Club day, so hooray for all those extra burned calories!

Thursday - normally a run day for me, but I decided to switch it up and do yoga this morning. 35 minutes and a bajillion lunges later, and my thighs and quads are not happy with me. Blue Emu oil to the rescue!

Friday - Easy 3 miles. It was a little foggy and a little misty out this morning. Just enough to make it difficult to see through my glasses. So I took them off, which was interesting too. I can see without them, just not very far. Good thing I know my route like the back of my hand! I don't do contacts - the thought of sticking them in my eye makes me tear up. Even putting drops in is difficult. So I wear my glasses all the time, even running. Average pace: 9:34/min per mile.

Tomorrow morning I'm up early for 6 miles, then we're off to the Twin Cities for Trav's birthday weekend extravaganza! More to come on Monday!

How's your training going? Do you run with glasses, if you wear them?

2 comments:

  1. Great job on the hill run!! You are amazing!! I wear contacts/glasses. I've been wearing my glasses a lot more lately because of some dryness and redness I was having, but there is NO WAY I could exercise let alone run in glasses! When I first got them I was in middle school and played basketball...I begged and begged and begged for my parents to let me get contacts because I hated it SOOOO much!! But hey, if it works for you that is great :) Hope you have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I got my glasses during my senior year in college. At the time I rode horses, and I would take them off for that. But over the years my eyesight has gotten worse, so I just leave them on all the time now.

      Delete