Monday, February 9, 2015

Stomach Flu and Weddings

Those two things don't really go together, do they? I tend to think not. But that is basically how my weekend went.

The stomach flu ravaged it's way through our house over the past week. First it started on Super Bowl Sunday with Emily. Except for her, it was a one-and-done type thing, and she was back to her normal self by mid-morning. So we chalked it up to random kiddo-sickness and carried on with our day. Invited people over, cooked food for them, you know the drill. So naive were we....

Very early Wednesday morning I awoke to the sound of Travis being sick in the bathroom. Wonderful. A full 24 hours later, he was pretty much back to his normal self.

So I, of course, naturally thought that I would not get sick. I eat healthy, I exercise. I will not get sick.

Thursday night: cue sickness.

Oh lordy, it was rough. We're talking every 15 minutes, let's just sleep on the bathroom floor, I think I might not make it out alive kind of sickness.

The best part? I had to be in a wedding on Saturday. Wonderful! I thought I could rally Friday night for the rehearsal dinner, but ended up making the call that it was better to stay at home rather than risk everyone else getting sick.

So after a little sleep on Friday night, I woke up at 7 to be at the church at 9 for the pre-wedding getting ready routine. Thankfully, this included a lot of sitting and vegging. Also, the bride was amazing and so kind about my "condition". I was still feeling like warmed over dog doodoo, but was determined to make it through and support her on her day.

The bride's sister-in-law did our hair, and bless her, made me look human. I was truly impressed. The whole day went off without a hitch, despite a couple other people being sick and not being able to make it as well. Overall, it was a beautiful wedding, and the bride and groom were just perfect. Happy, fun, relaxed, and just all about enjoying the day. What could be better?

I snapped this pic at the reception. Sadly I didn't get many other photos throughout the day, which would have been fun.

Just us bridesmaids and a snowflake.

Unfortunately I had to cut the evening short around 8pm, but the bride was so understanding and had no problem with me leaving early. I am so thankful that she wasn't a bridezilla! But I don't think I'd be friends with that type of girl to begin with...

I fully expected to be back to my A game by now, but life has different plans for me. Most of my Sunday was spent on the couch or in my bed, as I could not shake the exhausted feeling. I'm at work today, but basically just as a place holder. There is not a whole lot of actual function going on in my little department. Good thing I don't have much going on anyway.

In other news, I registered for my guaranteed spot for the Garry Bjorklund Half Marathon on June 20th. So if you could send some healthy vibes my way so that I could get back on track with my running (we're going on day 5 of inactivity here), I would really appreciate it.

I'm in!

Have you had the stomach flu recently? How do you bounce back to your exercise routine after being sick? 

2 comments:

  1. Ugh! I'm so sorry you had the stomach flu, it sounds like a miserable one. I rarely get sick, but I came down with the flu on Christmas day two years ago and I felt like I was going to die. It knocked me out for a full week. It was awful! I'm glad you didn't have to miss the wedding though. Don't push yourself too hard getting back to exercise, just take it easy, drink a lot of water and feel better soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I did run on the treadmill this morning, but it was rough. Definitely took more out of me than normal! I think I'll take another rest day, than see how things go on Thursday morning. Mostly it's just my stomach now, just feeling icky.

      Delete