Friday, December 11, 2015

Creamy Curried Cauliflower Soup

This time of year is always so busy with holiday events, shopping, decorating, baking, etc., etc. I don't know about you, but I'm always looking for new, exciting recipes that are easy. Not like the butternut squash mac n'cheese I made last night. 1.5 hrs from start to finish. Beginner foodie tip: read the recipe well before you plan to start dinner.

Or, just listen to me and make this soup:

Creamy Curried Cauliflower Soup from the kitchn.

Photo from the kitchn

In my attempt to reduce our grocery bill every month, I mix in vegetarian dishes. Also, bonus points if they're chock full of veggies. Which this soup is since it's made out of cauliflower and onions. I'm glad my daughter can't read, because she doesn't think she likes onions. However, these onions get sauteed first, then blended in with the cauliflower so she never knew they were in there.

Although this is supposed to be curried, there's not actually any curry powder in the soup. Cumin, tumeric, and coriander give it that "curried" vibe. Alone, it's not spicy. But you can add some red pepper flakes to give it a little zest. We also really loved topping it with cashews. Not the most obvious paring, but kind of different and tasty all the same.

From start to finish, I think this recipe took me 35 min to cook. I don't always listen to cooking times with onions, rather eyeballing it until I think they're done. But you do want the cauliflower to be soft enough to blend well.

Huge bonus points for this recipe: my 4 year old ate her entire bowl (sans red pepper flakes). Also? This is pretty low in calories and carbs, so it pairs well with some crusty bread...or some Christmas cookies, if you're so inclined.

How my bowl turned out.

The red pepper flakes and parsley gave it a nice little bit of Christmas cheer. The recipe makes a big batch, so I've been enjoying this for lunch all week, too. 

What's your go-to easy meal to make during the holiday craze?

No comments:

Post a Comment