Friday, November 7, 2014

Friday Favorites: Breakfast Frittata

Travis and I have been on a "cooking really good food" kick lately. I've been breaking out of my cooking shell a little, and we've been trying a lot of new recipes. So far we've had a lot more successes than failures!

Do you know what a Frittata is? I had heard of it in the vague sense, but wasn't all too sure on the exact definition.

From Wikipedia: "Frittata is an egg-based Italian dish similar to an omelette or crustless quiche, enriched with additional ingredients such as meats, cheeses, vegetables, or pasta. The word Frittata is Italian and translates to "fried"."

There's really nothing fried about this though, except a bit of pan frying. But I felt like it was a pretty healthy option, and you can really make this your own by adding the vegetables and toppings that you like best.

The original recipe came from Foodness Gracious (who is actually a stay-at-home dad - props to him!). Here's his pic:


Looks amazing, right? I believe he used peach/pineapple salsa, and larger sausage links. We used black bean salsa and regular pork link sausage because it was on sale. Holler!

Here's how ours turned out:


Pretty good, right? We all added more salsa to our individual servings. Let me tell you what: this was so so good! I'm not a big egg fan, and with the flour in the mix this gets more of a baked taste than an omelette. Light and fluffy too! Even Emily ate her entire portion, with salsa to boot!

I told Travis that we will be making this regularly from here on out. 5 stars!

No comments:

Post a Comment