Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Relay, anyone?

Ok, so after my last blog post all about brownies, I realized that maybe you think I've gone to seed, and am just sitting here not exercising and getting fat.

It's not true! I'm still running on the treadmill, as much as it pains me to say that. With cold temps hovering around zero (or less!), it's really difficult to even think about getting outside again. I'm hoping that since it's March now, maybe the weather will start to warm up again. I mean, come on, Spring officially starts on March 20th! It needs to warm up at some point, right?

This past weekend, I was asked to be part of a Ragnar Relay team. This 200+ mile race consists of 12 person teams, each running 3 legs over a period of 24-48 hours. You travel in vans, you shower in schools and community centers, you sleep when and where you can. You will run at night at some point. Honestly, not many of these things, individually, sounds very appealing. I mean, let's be honest here. Also, there will be porta potty use at some point. Not my favorite thing.

But all together? This race kind of sounds like it ROCKS. The legs are anywhere between 3 and 9 miles, and vary in difficulty based on the terrain. The race we're looking at is the Great River race that goes from Winona, WI to Minneapolis, following the Mississippi river for much of the way. And really, you're only running for maybe 2 hours total for the whole journey. Not even all at once. The rest of the time is spent in camaraderie with your teammates.


I kind of can't wait.

The race is in August, which means it will likely be hot and muggy. Hmm, that's ok in the grand scheme of things. Better than freezing cold, right?

So now we're trying to amass our team together. So far we have a definite 6, maybe 7. I asked a co-worker if he'd like to join up, but he's unsure about the timing. He's racing the Hardrock 100 in July. He might still be a little tired come mid-August. Well, that's what I'm assuming. His main concern was having enough vacation time. Ok, let's all giggle a little about this and then realize we're all lazy couch potatoes in comparison.

Have you heard of Ragnar? Would you consider running in one? 

No comments:

Post a Comment