Monday, March 10, 2014

A Road Run - Finally!

We have finally been blessed with some warmer weather. PRAISE THE LORD! This weekend we saw temperatures hovering right under 50 degrees.

Did you read that correctly? 50 FANTASTIC DEGREES!!!!!

I'm sorry for the excitement, but it's been a long winter. Nope, not sorry. Deal with it.

I was finally able to lace up my shoes and hit the road, although I did have to strap on my Yak-Trax as there is still some snow and ice in parts. It was also a bit chilly when I started out, but pretty comfortable for most of the run. Half-marathon training is officially in full swing, so I planned on doing 7 miles. Gulp.

I was a little nervous about starting out again on the road and doing 7 miles. I thought maybe I should a few shorter runs to get my feet wet again. But, I've been running up to 60 minutes on the treadmill all winter, so I knew that I could handle it from a cardio standpoint. I was just worried about my poor legs.

Let me tell you, they are not happy with me. The entire run was definitely work. I forgot about a couple of hills along the way that made things a bit hairy. But I just kept plugging along and stayed with it. I'll be honest, there was one point where I thought "I could just walk now. It would really be ok." But that would just prolong things, and at that point I just wanted to be home. The nice thing about the route I took was that the entire last .7 mile is all downhill. That's fun :o)

Here's my stats:

Side note: I love my Garmin Forerunner watch. It is a cool little gadget that shows me my overall time, pace per mile, and how many miles I've gone. No more fumbling with my phone and the inaccuracy of MapMyRun! Anyway, not too shabby with an overall pace of 9:23. Although, let me tell you what. I am paying for it today. My leg muscles are not to happy with me. But you know what I say to them? Get over it, legs! This is just the beginning! We've got work to do!

No comments:

Post a Comment