Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Packing for Ragnar

In a little over 24 hours from now, I'll be setting off for Southern Minnesota with 11 of my closest, newest friends to start the craziest thing I think I've done to date. Running 3 times over a period of 36 hours with little sleep, and who knows what for food, is a little out of my comfort zone to say the least. But I'm pretty excited about the experience, and I cannot wait to go!

I thought I'd share a bit of my packing ideas. I'm not trying to reinvent the wheel here; a lot of my ideas came from other bloggers who've run Ragnar before.


Like putting your clothes in ziplock baggies. The idea here is that they're easy to grab, should contain everything you need to put on your body for that run, and easy to then put stinky clothes in after your run.

I added my leg maps to each bag, as well as labeled each bag with the leg number, miles, and time of day I think I'll be running.


I'm also bringing grocery store plastic bags and a few trash bags, too. I think the plastic bags will work better for containing stinky clothes, since these ziplock bags aren't huge. 

If you think that first picture is all I'm bringing, I have to apologize now for misleading you. That's not even a third of it!


Here's my complete list:

Clothes
- 3 running outfits (capris/shorts & tops)
- 4 sports bras
- 5 pair of socks
- 3 pair of compression socks
- 5 pair of undies
- 1 lightweight zip-up for running at night if it's cool
- 1 rain jacket
- Clothes for hanging out in between runs (2 pair of yoga pants, 3 t-shirts)
- 1 sweatshirt
- 2 hats
- 1 Bondiband
- 1 pair of flip flops

Gear
- Garmin watch & HRM
- Fuel belt with bottles
- 2 pair of running shoes (in case of rain)
- chargers, including van plug in for chargers
- Extra thick yoga mat to sleep on
- 1 Chawel
- 3 towels & 3 washcloths
- 1 pillow
- ear plugs
- Reflective Xinglet, headlamp, tail light

Personal Items
- Shampoo/conditioner
- Deodorant
- toothbrush/toothpaste
- hand sanitizer
- hair brush
- extra pony tail holders
- Body glide
- Salt stick tabs
- Nuun electrolyte tabs
- Ibuprofen/allergy meds/immodium
- baby wipes
- sunscreen & bug spray

For the van:
- window markers to decorate the van
- sharpie pen
- duct tape (you never know!)
- garbage bags & plastic bags
- flashlight
- camping chairs
- Ragnar Bible w/pace predictor printed out
- Glow in the dark bracelets (mostly for fun)
- Essar magnets (my employer donated money to our team, so we're using that money for gas. In exchange, we had magnets printed to put on the side of the van)
- van tagging magnets with team logo 
- Febreeze
- paper plates, plastic utensils
- paper towels
- toilet paper

Other members are bringing a first aid kit, a large cooler for food, and a water cooler for each van. Since we're the second team, we have a good chunk of time on Friday morning to do some grocery shopping for food and water before we have to start running. At Exchange 18, and then at every major exchange after that, there are showers offered. I fully intend on taking advantage of those. I'm also hoping to be able to get some sleep in at one of the indoor sleeping areas. We'll see about that! Hopefully those ear plugs work. 

At this point, I feel like I have everything I could possibly need or want with the exception of bringing my bed or entire house along. With this being my first Ragnar, I'm not really sure what to expect so I'm just trying to be a good planner. No surprise there, right? I'll have to update next week with a "used/didn't use" post. 

Since we start running on Friday, I won't be around until next week. See ya on the flip side!



What do you think of my packing list? Am I forgetting something or completely over doing it? 

No comments:

Post a Comment