Monday, July 14, 2014

Weekend Recap: Running & Weather

Hello all! I hope you had a lovely weekend.

I started the weekend off right by running the 3rd Annual Red Ore Run right in my own town. Sometimes, I love not having to travel for races. Getting to wake up at a reasonable time before a race definitely beats the 3am wake up call.

This race is a 5K/10K, plus a 1K for the kiddos. Last year I ran the 10K as my very first 10K. It was hot and humid, but some people had their sprinklers set up along the way and there were plenty of aid stations. I finished in 54:06, under my goal time of 55 minutes.

This year the weather was sunny and cool at 60 degrees. Could you ask for any better weather? I think not! One person still had their sprinkler set up, which I ran through even though it wasn't hot. Running through sprinklers is just fun! I started off way to fast, and couldn't settle into a decent pace until mile 3-4 (Hello 8:13 pace, wayyyyy to fast for this girl!) I guess the weather was just making me feel good! Anyway, I finished in 53:15, which is a PR for me - yay! One I probably won't beat any time soon, but that's ok.

I don't have any pictures from the race, but I do have to share the t-shirts from this year. It's a new design, and I'm not sure I really dig it. Care to guess what it reminds me of?


It's supposed to be a pile of taconite pellets. But I think it looks like a pile of something else, if you catch my drift. Taconite is the end product from the iron ore we mine up here on the Iron Range, just an FYI.

The rest of the weekend was pretty uneventful, except for the weather. We're getting a Polar Vortex. Please remind me - this is the middle of July, no? What the heck, North Pole? Send your vortexes somewhere else!


So, we've had a bit of rain, and our high today is only 61 degrees. At least it's getting up to 70 tomorrow. But really, a high of 70 in July? This is nuts! The lakes are still really cold, and we probably will not be getting in one until at least the middle of August. By September, our summer is pretty much over. Glad we got that trip to Florida in!

How was your weekend? Are you getting cooler weather from the Polar Vortex?

No comments:

Post a Comment