Monday, January 6, 2014

Nice Things

I like to have nice things. Little things that make me feel slightly luxurious. Nice bath gel or lotion, a bottle of nice wine, pretty things to decorate my home. However, I have a two year old who clearly cannot differentiate nice vs cheap at the moment, nor does she care that nice things should stay nice. Sometimes I think my husband is of the same mindset.

I have to admit though, I am not the most graceful person. Actually, grace and I don't know each other at all. I drop things, I break things. Yes, even my nice things. For example, our pretty wine glasses that we got for our wedding. I had a set of 8 at one point. At my last count, we were down to 3. Yikes!

So for Christmas this year, I asked for new wine glasses. With the silent promise that I would treat them nicely and be careful. We don't have a dishwasher, so I have to hand wash everything anyway. I'll just be more careful when hand washing my future, new glasses.

Santa delivered, and bought me these lovely glasses, made in Italy. Santa only brought a set of 6 though, to see how I liked them. They are wonderful, and delicate, and beautiful wine glasses. I love them. But 6 is not enough should we ever have a dinner party, or for when we host Christmas dinner. So I bought a matching set of 6 in the larger version. The original 6 hold 11 3/4 ounces of wine. The new set holds 20 ounces. Whoa baby.

In my head, that's not a huge difference, but these bad boys are huge. Like, the bowl is as large as Emily's head.

Santa's gift on the right, gift to myself on the left.
These glasses are so tall that I had to rearrange my cabinet with all of our drinkware. For a long time, this cabinet held not only our regular drinking cups, coffee mugs, and hodge-podge of old wine glasses, but also an array of water bottles and koozies. Given all our indoor time due to the frigid weather we're having, I made it my mission to declutter this cabinet and give the new wine glasses a proper home. 

Mission accomplished. Don't they look pretty? I really think so. Also, the most important part: they are great for drinking out of.
A wine glass is always better when it's full. 
So, I am trying my hardest to treat these nicely, and to be delicate with them. I've got my fingers crossed that they will last for a long time. A long, long, long time...



No comments:

Post a Comment