Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Happy New Year! Also, a Little Reflection

Happy New Year to everyone out there in the blogosphere! I hope that 2014 brings you health, happiness, love and blessings. I have some exciting things planned for 2014, like a trip to Florida in the summer, running more races, and both Travis and I turn 30 years old this year. Ok, well I am not really planning that so to speak, but it will happen regardless of what I do.  But that's not until October so is neither here nor there. 

The end of the year is always a good time for reflection of what's behind you and what is to come. One of my favorite new blogs (new to me) "The Lady Okie" posted a "13 Things You Should Ask Yourself Before the End of 2013" post. Some of the questions align well with my resolutions to be more present in my daughter's life everyday, to enjoy her and love her and not take for granted the time that is passing. Also, to stay active, keep running, and maybe run another half marathon or two. We'll see. So, without further adieu, here's my Q&A:


1. What am I most proud of this year?
Definitely running a half marathon. But also, keeping up with the training and being able to work towards a goal that I thought was crazy at one point. I think I surprise myself with my own dedication sometimes, which is weird because all of my family members see me as a very driven and dedicated person. Maybe I'm too hard on myself in this regard?

2. How can I become a better ________?

Mother. I mean, Emily is definitely not lacking in love or anything here, but I can always be mindful of ways to improve. That's why part of my resolution is to just enjoy her. To be patient, to listen to what she has to say (which is normally funny and sometimes insightful, even for a 2 year old), to play with her and be a kid with her. 

3. Where do I need to allow myself grace?
I suppose in not giving myself credit. Mommy-guilt can be a hard thing to deal with, but I'm doing the best I can and that's nothing to shake a stick at. 

4. Am I passionate about my career?

Hmm, this one is probably a no. I wouldn't say that I'm "passionate" about being an assistant. However, I like my job. I like my responsibilities, the people I work with, the pay, the certain level of security that has been afforded to me. Not all jobs are secure, and this I know, but for now this one is moving right along. I'm ok with where I am at this point in my life. 


5. What did my finances look like?

They look ok. But of course, we could be saving more. It's not something I want to put down as a resolution, but something I will be mindful of in this next year. 

6. How did I spend my free time?
Mostly be running and reading. This year, I read 40 books. 40! Can you believe that? I'm not even sure how it happened. One was an audiobook, so I'm not sure if it's fair to count that one. Another one was only 70 pages or so. Still, even 38 books is pretty amazing. Goodreads has a cool goal setter and keeps track of all the books you read if you put them in. Here's my year in literary review


7. What projects have I completed?

Big projects? Hmm, well we repainted our family room, then tackled our dining/living room combo. I also did some small projects with Emily. Then there was that whole training and running a half marathon project. 

8. In what ways can I restructure my time?
I could probably spend less time on the internet. Facebook to be specific. 

9. When have I felt the most alive?
Usually at the end of a race. Even a 5K. Crossing that finish line and seeing my family cheer for me is an awesome feeling. 


10. How can I improve my relationships?

I think that focusing not only on being present with Emily, but also with my husband is important. Making an effort to talk more over dinner and after the munchkin goes to bed. I'd also like to have more day dates so that we can reconnect as a couple.


11. What lessons have I learned in 2013?
That I am strong. That patience really is a virtue and it takes practice. That I can do anything that I set my mind to, unless a certain 2 year old's mind is set a different way and then we need to compromise. 

12. What old habits would I like to release?
Taking for granted that my family will be there. Also, stealing his side of the bed. But not the covers. 


13. What new habits would I like to cultivate?

Living more joyfully. 

No comments:

Post a Comment