Monday, October 5, 2015

Gooseberry Falls and the North Shore

Hello friends! I know Mondays are a bit of a downer, so here are some beautiful photos to help lighten the mood.

This weekend we went to Gooseberry Falls with my sister-in-law, her boyfriend, and my mother-in-law. We brought stuff for a picnic, and had a great time enjoying the views.

This is the view from the very top, where there is a bridge on the highway that goes over the river. Way off in the distance, you can sort of see Lake Superior.


From that same vantage point, you can see the upper falls. 


I think the upper falls are the prettiest, because it's so wide and there are so many waterfalls. In the upper left corner, you can see the bridge.


This is the lower falls, which you can walk right up to. Kind of scary, especially with a daredevil 4 year old. "Hold my hand Emily!!" was said more than a few times. 


The view from that vantage point looks over the rest of the river on it's way out to Lake Superior, and the little bridge at the bottom that you can cross over. 


Here's the same waterfall, but from the bottom. Still very pretty. Emily enjoyed throwing rocks into the pool at the bottom. 


We hiked back up to the top, where our car was, and then drove down closer to Lake Superior where they had a large picnic area. They had tables right out by the lake, but it was so windy and cold out there that we opted for one near the parking lot that had more of a tree line to break the wind.

Lake Superior crashing into the beach.


More of the lake. The pillar seen here in the bottom corner had chains in between each pillar to form a barrier, but there were quite a few chains that were down, and you could walk right up to the edge of the cliff. It was probably about a 20 ft drop into the lake. I would have a picture for you, but that scared the heck out of me, so I walked back to safety as quickly as possible!


Last but not least: Emily being a ham. :o)


Of course we stopped at the "world famous" Betty's Pies on the way home. (Seriously, no visit to the North Shore is complete without a slice of Betty's pie) Because it was such a beautiful day, not only was the park a madhouse, but so was Betty's. Over an hour wait! Thankfully they have a takeout line, so I waited 15 minutes, got 3 slices to go, and we enjoyed them from the comfort of our own home. 

Sunday was spent running, relaxing, and watching football. I made my first batch of chili in the crock pot, along with cornbread and brownies. Just for good measure. 

How was your weekend? Are you enjoying any fall activities? 


4 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness! Absolutely gorgeous! It was miserable and rainy here this week but I am looking forward to this weekend and some nice weather to do some outdoor activities!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did feel a little guilty that we were having such gorgeous weather while the whole east coast was getting soaked!

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a blast! I love waterfalls!! And that picture of Emily is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it would have been really relaxing to just sit and enjoy the falls for a bit, but with my daughter there, and so many other people, it was a bit hectic. But we still enjoyed seeing them!

      Delete