Thursday, November 14, 2013

Nahhhtawangyaaaa...bobodecimah....

Recognize that? No, a cat didn't just walk across my keyboard. That's my interpretation of the opening song to Lion King! One of my all time favorite Disney movies. Who doesn't love Simba, and that crazy monkey? Or Zazu, major domo, and his awesome rendition of "I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts"?

I can remember when my nephew was really young, like around age 5 or so (he's in college now!), this was his favorite movie. We were visiting them in Missouri one time, for a week or so, and Lion King pretty much played on repeat. It became a thing when something crazy or weird was happening, my mom and my brother would start singing the coconut song. Even to this day my mom will start singing it at random. A little known fact about my mom: any song that she starts singing will immediately ingrain in your head and you won't be able to get it out. You'll start singing a random song and think, "where did I hear that? So weird..."

So, in the hopes of continuing the love of Lion King in my household, I suggested it as a gift for Emily last Christmas. My parents obliged, and low and behold, we now own the DVD. Emily watched it a few times, but it never really grabbed her attention before, until this:

A few nights ago, she stood exactly like this for the first 10 minutes of the movie. Honestly, she did not move a muscle. I finally moved her to the couch so she could at least sit. She was enraptured by Mufasa, Scar, Simba, and the gang for the entire movie. Now all she asks is to watch "King". It's a very pleasant change from Cinderella, Peter Pan, Tinkerbell, and "fishes" or a Turtle's Tale.

We're getting her The Little Mermaid for Christmas this year. I can't wait to see her reaction to that!

No comments:

Post a Comment