Monday, September 28, 2015

Fall Recipes

I normally do a weekend review on Mondays, but our weekend was pretty uneventful. We did go to an open house at our fire department, but Emily didn't want to do any of the activities they had (fire safety house, fireman obstacle course). So we were there for 20 minutes, got this picture, and left.


Besides a long run and watching football, we really didn't do anything. 

I have been knocking it out of the park in the kitchen lately, though. Fall is time for comfort foods, and there has been no shortage of that in my house lately. 

First up: Apple Bacon Stuffed Sweet Potatoes from How Sweet It Is. This recipe combines sweet and savory with a mix of the the sweet potato & apple with bacon, goat cheese and sage seasoning. One potato per person felt more than enough and filled me up, but you might want to serve it with a side salad.


Next we enjoyed this Stuffed Acorn Squash from Prevention RD. It's stuffed with sausage and apples, as well as some other things. The recipe calls for mushrooms, but I felt it was hearty enough without so I omitted them. Your call. 


Lastly, this yummy Greek Yogurt Dip from Food Faith Fitness. I wanted to make something yummy for the football game on Sunday, but not completely wreck my diet. I've also been having trouble with spinach lately, so this recipe really intrigued me. It's like a spinach artichoke dip, but it uses kale & cauliflower instead, along with a lot of parmesan cheese. While it's not exactly a salad, it's definitely better than most game day food. 


I also have to totally laugh at this picture, because it is my life. Adult food and drinks, eaten on my daughter's coloring table, surrounded by her toys. She was supposed to be napping, but ended up coming down after about an hour to crash our party. Such is life with kids. Here's a much better pic:


Taylor (Food Faith Fitness) uses a Blendtec to make this dip, but I just used my blender. While it probably didn't work quite as well as a Blendtec, it got the job done. First world problems, right? 

How was your weekend? Enjoyed any good eats lately?

4 comments:

  1. The dip looks SO tasty! And I love that all the kiddie stuff serves as the background for the photo - #reallife :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was really good! I would chop the kale up really fine separately, then mix it all together in your baking dish before putting it in the oven. That worked better for me than trying to blend it in my regular mixer. Unless you have a Blendtec, then I'm sure it works great!

      Delete
  2. Oh these sound so delicious! I am definitely going to try that greek yogurt dip!

    ReplyDelete