Friday, July 3, 2015

Fitness Friday

Hello, and Happy (early) 4th of July!

I was very tempted to run a local race today, the Firecracker 5K, but decided to save my money. Good thing too, because my coach changed my training plan to bump up a 3 mile run to a 5 mile run, so that 5K wouldn't have really fit. July is looking like a pretty hefty mileage month so far! My first 15 mile run in a few weeks, plus a 7 mile workout in the middle of the week.

"Dear boss: I will be late to work this morning because I have to run. Kthnksbye."

Saturday - Saturday was a rest day. We went to the beach instead and met up with one of Emily's best friends from daycare. Technically, they are second cousins once removed, or whatever that relation is. Her Dad and Travis are second cousins. It was a fun day! We had a semi-shady spot on the beach, so none of us got too much sun. When we got home, I made this salad:

Spring Mix Steak Salad with Roasted Carrots, Beets, & Bleu Cheese
Big mistake. 20 minutes after eating this, my stomach started to revolt. Uh oh. I don't know what exactly didn't agree with me, but something in here upset my tummy.

Sunday - I woke up Sunday morning pleasantly surprised that it wasn't raining. It was pretty muggy out, but I had 11 miles on tap and a new tank top to try out, so I set off determined to get my run in. My stomach was feeling much better, and the first 5 miles were pretty good. Then I got a stomach cramp that just wouldn't quit for TWO miles. I tried all kinds of breathing techniques, some massaging, but the sucker just wouldn't go away. Of course, if I had stopped running it might have, but stopping is for babies. "Pain is weakness leaving the body" blah blah blah. Whatever. I didn't want to stop! Thankfully it did go away at mile 7, but for the rest of the day and night, it felt like I had pulled a stomach muscle. Fun. Anyway, got the run done at an average pace of 9:45.

Monday - another rest day, and working on some hip strength exercises. Good thing too, because they were a little sore after Sunday's run.

Tuesday - Combo workout: 1 mile warm up, 2 miles at tempo pace (8:40-8:50), 4 min rest, then 4 x 1 min at 7:20-7:30 pace w/3 min rests, 1 mile cool down. This workout went pretty well, except I was slightly off the interval paces. I'd start off too fast, slow down too much, then the minute was up before I could correct it more. Also, my right knee started to bug me during the intervals. I think it's time for new shoes. Paces were 9:40, 8:41, 8:43, 7:32, 7:34, 7:42, 7:34 (intervals), 9:48.

Wednesday - typically a rest day, but I'm trying to rearrange thing so I can run on Sat morning instead of Sunday. Plus, I wanted to test out my knee. Typical runner, right? "I've got some pain in X, I think I'll run on it and see how it feels." I just did an easy 3 miles, and the knee was much better. But then I started getting some kind of ache in my other leg on the outside of my shin. Definitely time for new shoes! Paces: 9:50, 9:41, 9:35.

Thursday - Totally supposed to be a rest day but...such is life. I didn't want to run 5 miles the day before I run 14 which is definitely happening on Saturday now. So Thursday it is. Easy pace, nothing extraordinary to report. My knee felt ok, but still not 100%. Probably because it needs rest. The weird ache in my other leg made itself known, but wasn't painful. Again, hopefully new shoes are the answer. Average pace: 9:38.

Friday - Rest day! For real! We're off to Duluth to buy those new shoes at the fancy running store that does gait evaluations. Then hopefully a little lunch and maybe visiting the lakewalk to burn off a little of Em's energy before heading home.

Lakewalk
I hope everyone has a happy and safe 4th of July!

What are your plans for the weekend?


No comments:

Post a Comment