Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Training for Tuesday - a link-up

Hello! I'm joining A Change of Pace (formerly known as Tracy Tris) and AlyssaGoesBang for their Training for Tuesday link-up again.

I mentioned it in previous link-ups, and then again herehere, and here, but I finally did sign up for RunnersConnect.

My personalize plan so far has been very manageable, and challenging in a good way. This morning I had a hills workout that kind of kicked my butt. Again, in a good way. I couldn't hit the exact prescribed paces, but that's ok. Their prescribed 1 mile pace was a lot faster than I had previously ever run a mile. All in good time.

What I really love is the real-time feedback. There's always a coach on hand to answer questions or just give an encouraging comment.  It's really interesting reading through the other runner's workouts, seeing their successes and pitfalls, and seeing that other people have a lot of the same questions and issues that I have, as well.

Some days, there's just nothing else on my mind besides running. Instead of bugging friends and family with that, RunnersConnect is providing me a place to get my "fix". They have old coach chats archived, and all of the forum questions to what seems like the beginning of time.

Plus, there's all the science. The way our bodies work, why we run certain types of runs, how our bodies process certain chemicals and nutrients, lactate levels, glucose stores...it goes on and on. A lot of it is over my head, but I'm scratching the surface and starting to have a greater understanding in the process. I'm learning that yes, while you can just go out willy-nilly and run, having a plan that follows the science behind running my body is probably going to work out much better in the end. We'll see come October 18th in Detroit!

How's your training going? 

Join us and share your thoughts!


A Change of Pace

6 comments:

  1. Yes, all in good time! Exactly. This program seems really amazing. I might have to look into it when I'm ready to move into marathon training. Thanks so much for sharing and thanks for linking up again! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! It's $50 a month to join up, but I feel like it's money really well spent in my case.

      Delete
  2. RunnersConnect-I will need to look into that. As a semi-new runner I have been having injuries and pain and I know I should get some support.

    Hills.....love/hate realationship for sure!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had my fair share of injuries. I'm training for my first marathon, and I really didn't want to do it all alone or blindly following a plan I found on the internet. I like that they can change and adapt things as I go based on my progress. Hopefully that means I'll be towing the line on marathon day healthy and ready!

      Delete
  3. Wow, I didn't know any of that stuff about the feedback on Runners Connect. That's amazing! What a useful tool to have as you marathon train. You are doing everything right to set yourself up for success!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tracy! Fingers crossed! That's one of the their selling points - they have a handful of coaches, so they try to have someone online at all times of the day for comments/questions.

      Delete