Monday, September 29, 2014

Fall Festivities

This weekend we had absolutely gorgeous weather. Actually, a little more like Summer weather than Fall. Travis said "Where has this weather been all Summer long?"

Since I was supposed to be resting this weekend due to my leg muscle strain (not happy about it and don't want to talk about it), we decided to take it easy all weekend. By taking it easy, that means going pumpkin picking. Of course!

Seriously though, you have to take advantage of the good weather when you get it. Who knows when it will be cold and snowy. So, we packed up a picnic basket and off to the farm we went.

The place we went to is actually kind of commercialized, and very popular. Very. We weren't surprised to see tons of people when we pulled up. Quite different from last year when we went in the rain. Oh well.

As soon as we got there, all Emily wanted to do was play on the swing set.
 

She was not interested in pumpkin picking, the corn maze, the pony rides...none of it. All she wanted to do was play. Which was fine with us, for awhile. 


But mama didn't pay $15 bucks for you to swing, darling daughter. So when another kid wanted to use the swing, I plucked her up and off to the corn maze we went.


That was met with a few tears. I know, I know, I'm the meanest mom in the world. But eventually she got over it.


The corn maze wasn't that exciting for Emily. I figured she was probably just hungry, so we decided it was a good time to eat. We lucked out and nabbed an empty picnic table right away. Seriously, this was what Emily enjoyed most. She even thanked God for our picnic during bedtime prayers.

Lovin' that food. A girl after my own heart!

After we ate, Emily was in a slightly better mood. We decided to go check out the pony rides. Emily got to ride the smallest pony. His name was Hans, just like in "Frozen", which Emily totally geeked out about.



She didn't really love the pony ride, but hung on until the end. I think it would have been better if she were on a bigger pony - a bigger center of gravity helps keep the rider more stable. Pun not intended! Years and years of riding taught me that the little devils were the hardest to stay on. 

In the end, Emily picked us out some fine pumpkins. Even a white "polar bear" variety to change things up a bit.

On Sunday, we just lazed around the house, watched football, and relaxed. Per doctors orders for me. 

See, I had a nagging pain in my piriformis muscle. It goes from your butt to your hip and helps with hip mobility. It wasn't painful, really, more just annoying. It kind of came and went for a few days. Then on Thursday, it went from my hip to my quad muscle while I was running. It went from nagging to more of a burning pain. I took it easy on Friday by running on the treadmill, and had no pain there but then my knee was bugging me. So I went to the doctor on Friday, and she diagnosed me with a strained muscle and prescribed physical therapy. I skipped my long run to rest the muscle this week. But with a half marathon coming up in 3 weeks, I know I can't afford too much resting time. On the flip side, I also don't want to injure myself further. Tomorrow I plan on doing an easy run to see how things feel. 

So, enough about that. Travis started working on the gargantuan task that is raking all of our leaves in the back yard. He got this cool photo of Emily jumping in a small pile of leaves.


How was your weekend? Are you enjoying Fall?

No comments:

Post a Comment