This month we're talking about our favorite person to train with, or our favorite training routine. Since I typically run alone, favorite person is kind of hard for me. However, I know for sure I have a favorite training routine. Cool Running's Couch to 5K. I know you may be thinking "well gee, Alison, you're a little beyond training for a 5K, aren't you?" Yes, probably true, but without Couch to 5K (C25K), I would never have even started running.
Here's what I love about it:
- C25K is a 9 week program that gets you ready for a 5K. Plus! Coolrunning.com also has a bunch of other training plans to take you beyond a 5K. I used their plans to train for my first 10K and half marathon.
- C25K gets you ready with just 3 workouts per week, 30 minutes each. That's what the doctor prescribes anyway, so how could that be any less perfect?
- C25K works. I swear to you, it does. Just stick with the program. So many people that I know, including myself, had trouble with the first day the plan calls for 20 minutes of running with no walking. (In week 5, I don't want to scare anyone off here!) But we can do it! Trust in the training, it doesn't lie.
Want proof? Here I am about to cross the finish line after my first 5K, using and sticking with C25K. I ran the whole thing! My time was 30 minutes and some change.
I was so proud of myself!
|Look how little Emily is here! Awww!|
Some tips to starting and sticking with it:
- Run outside if you can. The treadmill just isn't the same. Yes, you will hurt for the first few days as your legs build up some muscle, but your body will adjust.
- Write the instructions on your hand so you know when to walk and when to jog.
- Keep going! Just do it!
I never, ever thought that I'd be a runner. That is 100% true. I used to hate running. Honestly, it took a good 2 1/2 to 3 years of running before I could actually say that it's something I enjoy and need in my life. But finishing that first 5K opened so many doors. Now I believe in myself and that I can do the longer distances if I just stick with the training.
Want to hear more tips and training advice? Join up here and check out what the other runner's have to say this month!
Also, there's a giveaway! This month's give away is an Under Armour fitted Heat Gear tank and headband, modeled by lovely Beka from Sunshine to the Square Inch. Who doesn't love Under Armour?