Thursday, July 17, 2014

StitchFix Review: Box 1

You guys, I am so excited to share this with you! StitchFix is kind of blowing up on the blogosphere. I just heard about it for the first time in early June, and immediately signed up. Like, no thought given, I knew this was for me! Here's how it works:

StitchFix is an online personal stylist. You create a very detailed style profile about your size, likes, dislikes, etc. You can even link them to your style board on Pinterest so your stylist can get a better feel for things you like. Then a real, live person in California reads your info and picks 5 items to send you. It can be 5 clothing items, or maybe 4 and an accessory. You pay a $20 "styling fee", which is then credited to you if you purchase one of the items. Bonus: if you buy all 5, you get a 25% discount. Holler! Also, you can get referral credits if people sign up using your referral link. (Here's mine.) You choose how often you want a box sent. I originally chose every other month, but just changed to every month. Because I'm a glutton.

This was such a no-brainer for me for several reasons. Living in small-town America, I have very limited clothing choices. Let's face it: Walmart is just not an option. We have one small boutique that sells cute stuff, but again - limited selection. The closest mall to me is 1.5 hours away. As a working mother with little to no time on her hands, driving 1.5 hours to go to the mall and then take the time to really look is just a hassle. Leaving the kiddo at home helps, but it's still an all day thing.

So let me repeat: StitchFix sends you clothes to try on in the comfort of your own home. You have 3 days to send back whatever you don't want or didn't like. You also get to send notes back to your stylist why you didn't like it, so that each box you receive after is hopefully better than the first. Another plus: shipping back is free! StitchFix provides a postage paid envelope. So, wanna see what I got? I know you're dying to know!



They even send you a styling card with suggestions on what to pair your items with!
Zad - Lenor Arrow Charm Long Necklace - $38


I liked this necklace, and even want to start adding more accessories to my wardrobe. However, at this price point I thought "cute, but not that cute." I also like to wear more white gold and silver, which I noted to my stylist. Returned. 

Honey Punch - Natalie Striped Jersey Maxi Skirt - $58
I pretty much knew right out of the box that this skirt was going back. But, I thought I'd give it a try. You never know right? That's what this whole thing is about.

Ridiculously long!


This skirt was wayyyy to long. I could hike it up, fold over the top, and wear it as a dress! I did like the jersey material which was thicker and hung nicely. It's actually a blue and white stripe. But since I never wear skirts and would have to get this hemmed, it was a no-go. Returned.

Daniel Rainn - Melodie Smocked Detail Polka Dot Print Blouse - $68


Pouty Face


I really, really wanted to love this shirt. It was a nice summer shirt, light weight and loose. It's actually a light grey with barely-noticeable white polka dots. I loved the hennley-style neck line too. But ultimately, I thought it looked too big and I felt really boxy in it. Detailed notes back to my stylist. Returned.

41Hawthorn - Flynn Colorblock Sleeveless Blouse - $58


 

Another one I wanted to love! I thought it looked super cute on the style card, and out of the box it was very nice. I normally don't pick red but liked the details here. The shirt is actually navy blue, and a light sheer fabric. I had to wear a cami underneath, but thought it looked nice with my bermudas, or would look great with shorts, too, like the style card suggested. Again though, it was just too big. Noted. Returned.

Collective Concepts - Pamela Mixed Stripe Cross-Front Top - $58


This is the shirt I kept! I really loved it from the second I put it on. It is a nice, thicker weight so that wrap style stays put, although there is a little snap to keep it secure. The stripes are more of a cream, so I thought it looked good with my khaki bermudas. It also looked really nice with black slacks, so would be perfect for the office in the summer. The back is a little longer than the front, which provides a nice amount of added coverage. It's a little on the big size, but not enough that I felt it was too big. Kept!

So, overall I think my stylist did a bang-up job on my first box. 3 of the tops I really liked, but due to the sizing issues I decided to change my size on my style profile. Hopefully the next box is even better! I also mentioned that I'd prefer no skirts/dresses or jewelry. I'm hoping for a nice scarf though, and maybe some pants!

I'm sure you've guessed by now, but I obviously scheduled my next fix. It won't be here until Sept. 10th since I had originally planned on every other month fixes, but that's ok. I noted that it starts to get chilly here in September, so I'd like some transition pieces for Fall. Fingers crossed that the next one is just as good, or better!

I highly recommend this service to any other busy women out there who don't have time to shop, or maybe don't like to shop, or don't even know what they're looking for. If you want to check it out, and maybe give me a credit, go here!

What do you think of my first fix? Have you heard of StitchFix? Any questions for me - I'm happy to answer them!

No comments:

Post a Comment